Monday, May 25, 2009

All About Me

So, I learned to sit this week in only 2 days time! I sure am smart (there I go bragging again)....

I've been going on 4 mile walks every morning with my foster Mom and I sure am doing better. I'm not as scared as the cars so much anymore, but I still freeze when I see people walking. I can't help myself, though. I'm still unsure what they are going to do, so I just won't move. My foster Mom gives me a little tug and makes me keep going, and although I don't want to, I know she wouldn't steer me in the wrong direction, so I go along with it.

On Saturday my foster Mom left us home alone and my foster Aunt & Uncle came to let me out and did I give them a hard time! I was scared, even though I know them and see them every week, I hid from them and then I cried and cried when they tried to put my leash on me. They had to literally chase me down to catch me because I was being so fresh! Once they got me on the leash, I did go outside and was a little better, but not on my best behavior, I must admit. They tried to eat their lunch and once I saw food, I was the best niece ever! So, I sat there waiting for them to share and they did, but once they stopped feeding me, I didn't want to have anything to do with them.

Bonnie & I went for a hike with 3 GSP boys on Sunday and we had a blast. I climbed up and down all the rocks, and went in the river! I hope someday I can be off-leash like the other dogs, so I can run free like they do. My foster Mom says I'm still too unsure of myself and don't listen well enough for that. I am learning though, as she's been working with me in the yard for a little bit everyday on my recall. I totally get it, and I'm pretty good at listening when I'm on the long leash, but when there is stuff to chase, I don't hear a word she says. All I hear is "blah, blah, blah". I don't know what she expects from a hunting dog that now has a nice yard with lots of critters! Those squirrels, turkey and deer are meant for chasing! The other dogs tell me that I really should try and listen because once I learn the boundaries and the hidden fence, I can have free run of the yard like they do. I'd like that, but I don't know if I can do it. I'll guess I'll just have to work on some self-control. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment