Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Checking In....

Sorry I haven't written in a while, but I haven't had much to report.

Everything is going well at my foster home. I'm doing a little bit better with my "scaredy cat" ways, especially with my foster Mom and Aunt. I'm still scared of kids, even though they come over every week, I don't know if that's something I will ever get over, honestly. I'm a little more scared of men, as they are a bit louder and bigger than I prefer when walking towards me and talking, and my old Dad wasn't very nice to me, but my foster Dad is working on that with me and I really like the treats he has, so I'm getting a little closer each day to not being scared.

I've been getting along just fine with all the dogs over here, and I've met some new dogs in my recent travels and have like all of them. I went and had my nails clipped at the groomer the other day with the other 2 pointers, and it was a tragedy! I got so scared that I went to the bathroom on myself and then I had to get a bath. I don't think we'll be trying that again soon, although maybe we should so I know it's not a bad thing. We'll have to see about that, but I definitely showed my foster Mom that I've got a ways to go before we can just go out in public and do stuff like that!

I have been wearing this annoying collar that beeps when I get to close to certain areas in the yard and I'm scared of the noise, but my foster Mom tells me that is getting me used to the boundaries in the yard with it, so that I can run free and chase things hopefully. The other dogs told me that the beep means STOP in no uncertain terms, that I don't want to know what comes next, so I've been doing really well with that. I'm glad they are here to help me with all this stuff. I'm not used to anything other than running free and fending for myself. At this house, the people and the other dogs all look out for you. It's really nice to be part of a family.

I haven't had to go in my crate at all, as I've been a perfect angel when left out and just sleep with the other dogs. If my foster Mom leaves me home with foster Dad, I do cry for about 5 minutes or so, but I know she'll be back, so I eventually settle down. When I'm without the foster dogs though and left home, boy, do I make a ruckus! I cry a lot longer than 10 minutes and pace around, but call it quits after a while. I don't go destroying anything or being bad, I just go lay down and wait. What can I say, I enjoy some company...that doesn't make me a bad girl.

I'm still somewhat aloof with humans, but am I silly lately with the toys with the other dogs. I've got a routine down and I know when I can and cannot play. Every morning after I eat, my foster Mom opens up the "gates to Heaven"...which is really just a spare bedroom, but it's FILLED with dog toys...oh, we go crazy! I run up and down the hall, tossing them all over for about 1/2 hour, then I go and pass out somewhere because I've had my fun. I've got a new thing I do, which is pouncing towards the little dogs trying to get them to play with me. They think I'm a bully and hide under the desk or table, but when I turn my back on them, they coming charging out. So, I think there's hope for me that at some point, I will learn how to interact with them during play time. I watch them do it, but I just shy away because I haven't realized how fun it is just yet. I also steal the toys right out of my foster sisters mouth...but she lets me. She was the original foster dog here and came from a bad situation herself, so she knows what I went through and she lets me bully her. Now, the big spoiled one that lives here...well, she's not even allowed to play with us because I heard she can be quite mean when it comes to her toys!

Other than that, things are going well....I've just got to keep moving forward and learning that people are good and that I can trust them. It may sound like I haven't made much progress, but if you look back to my first blog, you can see, I truly have come a long way already!

No comments:

Post a Comment