Sunday, March 15, 2009

Intro to Jersey

I really wanted to foster....I haven't done so in 4 years. With 2 GSPs and 2 mini pinschers in the house, working full-time at an Investment Firm, as well as running a small business, fostering just didn't fit into our schedule. Not to mention fostering is how we ended up with 7 rescued GSPs between my sisters and I in the first place :) However, as a perk to losing my job recently, fostering was now a possibility. As soon as I heard the MO story, I knew it may be a possibility, so I just had to convince the other half and got to work on that right away! It was the usual...she'll stay in the heated garage, nothing will change, it will be okay, she won't be here long, etc.


When I heard this story initially, I was sickened, as was every other person out there and when I heard NJ was going to get a few dogs and I was given the opportunity to foster, I was all for it. I was reading Michelle's page, checking Best Friends website, Midwest Paws, etc. and following the story every step of the way!


Then I started to think more and more as the situation grew more real, and the dogs got closer to NJ. The thought ran through my head "what are you thinking fostering a dog that comes from this situation??" And I started to question if I would be able to see a dog that was treated like this for starters, work with her, turn her into a little gem, and then let her go?


I didn't change my mind, and I'm happy to report that I already have the little gem, she just needs some polishing! I'm happy to say, for all she's been through, "Jersey" is already ahead of herself....she is going to need a lot of training, attention, discipline and patience, but she is much better off than what I was expecting for having gone through so much.

But, I'll let her tell her story as it progress.

Oh, and just as a side note..the other half who needed convincing was hand feeding her last night as she slept on his chest watching tv!

~Rayna Regenthal, Eastern GSP Rescue Volunteer

No comments:

Post a Comment