Saturday, March 21, 2009

Progress!

The last few days have been full of progress for me...a little each day! On Wednesday, I went to the vet, and I'm happy to report, other than looking like a bony runway model (I only weigh 41.6), I am 100% healthy! I got a microchip now so if I ever get lost, I can be reunited with my forever family and I got tick preventative and heartworm, too. They really sure do know how to take care of a girl around here!

I've been going in my crate better, and being a little less "vocal", but I'm just not ready to completely cooperate with those 2 things just yet. I got to sleep in the house all night on the couch Thursday with my foster Dad because he was sick, and I didn't get up at all...man, it was SO comfy! My foster Mom said that was a little present for me for being so good at the vet.

I've really been trying hard to be nice to those other dogs that live here, and on Wednesday I started spending more time with them. First, I went for a walk with Bonnie, she's the really nice GSP that loves everyone, and we did fine. I followed her around through the bushes, streams, etc. and had a fun day. I really enjoy learning from her and watching what she does. Then my foster parents kept bringing the different dogs into the house, a little at a time so I could get used to them. I love the little boy miniature pinscher that lives here, but that little girl is crazy! She is 6 pounds of pure off-the-wall energy..she really makes me nervous! So I had to growl at her a bunch of times and the foster Mom agreed with me and yelled at her, too... But today was a huge day for me...I was in the house with all 4 of them all day! I will admit, I did snap at that little one a few times, and then the biggest GSP, Abby, snapped at me 2 times, but I think we have our pack order all set now, because ever since the big girl put me in my place, I haven't growled at anyone or had any problems all day! My foster parents said that being around the other dogs is good for me, because I'm learning to be a dog and be a little more independent. I'm actually sleeping on the couch with Bonnie, away from my foster Mom while she types this, if you can believe it!

I'm quickly picking up on lots of commands and my foster parents think I'm very smart, just a little stubborn, but all of us GSPs tend to be like that....heck, my foster Mom is pretty stubborn and she's half German, so she can't call the kettle black! I do recognize my name, and I do come about 80% of the time without a little tug on my leash. I've quickly learned "here", "up" and "down". I certainley haven't mastered them yet, but I do recognize what is being requested of me. I'm also learning "kennel" (which I really have no use for), "go bye-bye" (that's when I get to go outside), and "go pee pee" (when you do this one, you get a nice pet and you get to go back inside to that wonderful thing they call a couch!). So, that's a lot for one girl to pick-up, but I'm sure I'll have a good handle on it by the time I go to my forever home.

I am still quite scared of quick movements and loud noises. Also, if you try and come into the room and have a hat or a hood on, and I don't recognize you, forget it! I'm growling at you for sure...once you say my name, then I realize you're supposed to be here. And you cannot sneak up on me, I don't know how many times I have to try and teach my foster parents that. Sometimes they forget and they give me a heart attack! I definitely decided that I cannot be in a house with younger kids or small animals over the past few days. I just love chasing squirrels and cats way too much....I do think little dogs are fine, but they should be well-behaved and not too pushy...if they are, I may have a problem with that!

We had a bunch of guys here working over the past 2 days, and I was very scared, but I let them pet me, as long as I approached them. The minute they started heading for me, I went the other way because I was way too scared! I'm having some company come over tomorrow and see me, so I'll check back in sometime next week with another update!

No comments:

Post a Comment